Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Running Won't Kill Your Knees!

Shoes No More?
Here is some more inspiration for you to start, or keep running. I've always heard that it's really hard on your joints, particularly your knees. Well check out this NPR article, where they write that a lot of research is showing us now that running does not kill your knees. That's something that has always been in the back of my mind as I thought about running for my whole life. Something else in the way of running research that has caught my attention recently is the idea of running barefoot. Apparently it's a lot healthier for you than running in highly padded shoes. Shoes tend to make you strike the ground with the heal of your foot first, where as running barefoot you strike with the front pad of your foot first. This creates a lot less force on your leg, and people around the world like Mexico and Kenya have been running barefoot for years. So with that I am for the time being A) not going to buy a new expensive pair of running shoes, and B) going to give this barefoot running thing a try. Hopefully I've got some fun running segments and a 6 mile goal achieved to report to you next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment